Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sunday Morning Venti Coffee

I have a couple things on my mind ...

Chip and I had a lot of deep conversations before he left, or they might have seemed so because we were drunk, which means everything can be anything at that point. Anyhow, he told me I should start carrying around a moleskin, that way, when an idea hits you, you can follow it up later, if you're indisposed. This enables an idea to ferment, at least subconciously, because even if it's dumb, five minutes later, after giving it something thought, it could be fleshed out, and turn into something great. Secondly, accumulating enough of these ideas might turn into something grandiose, instead of snippets of snark on the internet social networks. Anyways, I kinda put this idea in the back of my head, because who really does this but hipsters, who I can't stand in all their pretentiousness, and, of course, Chip ... who it actually works for, as I've seen his notes sprawled in various places, almost to uni-bomber proportions?

Flash forward to this past Thursday night, where I'm reading Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things in bed ... in his introduction Gaiman tells where each of his short stories originated from. It amazed me how really organic story writing can be, and was wowed by the fact that he, and I would imagine many writers, just have stories laying about, either waiting to be expanded upon, or just not quite right ... only to be fixed months, maybe years down the road. I thought it was really cool how Gaiman told about how each of those stories came to fruition, and why they did so.

Long story short, Chip may be right, a fact that he enjoys hearing regularly. Que My Name is Mr. Know It All by Primus.

The other thing I've been thinking about lately is my new maxim, that being "You do the things that are important to you". My best example of this is my parents. Although it seems like I'm looking for a gift, I'm really not ... just illustrating a point. So, on my birthday, my mother said she forgot my birthday card, and that she would mail it. To this day, I have received nothing in the mail. I can only be led to believe that it's not that important, because if she was, she'd do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment