Thursday, August 12, 2010

If My Soul Had a Name, It Would Be Charles Bukowski

As I'm wont to do on my days off, I hit my trifecta of stops on my bike ... Borders, the Libary, and Starbucks (and if it were Wednesday, it would be the quadrangle which would include the Empire, which I went to anyhow). At Borders, I was browsing for Michael Chabon, when I came across Charles Bukowski. I went through the Bukowski phase about 2 years ago, devouring all his novels in about a month. But what I saw at Borders was a whole mess of short stories that I missed. The bum part is that the short stories are infused with his poetry. Now, I have NOTHING against poets, it's just something I really don't understand, no matter how many times I've tried (much like the physical sciences) ... so I'd just opt to read something else. But there's something about him that I just love (which will catalyze me going to buy these books at some point), and it's the same thing that makes me love Tom Waits. There is something to be said about those artists, whether they be writers, musicians, or painters ... that can capture the darkside of humanity, or the underbelly of life. People who had it so bad, that all they really want is a drink ... like straight out of a Nelson Algren story.

Speaking of seedy underbellies ... I couldn't really sleep last night. When this happens, I go straight to the retro movie channel where I see Rocky 2 is on. Perfect. Although not was great as it's predecessor (or successor), it's still a pretty good movie. What a great performance by Burgess Meredith. I had forgotten how motivational his portrayal of Mickey could be. But let's face it ... did the Italian Stallion suffer brain damage (in addition to a bum eye) causing him to marry Adrianne, and have to carry Paulie around like an albatross? Seriously, Talia Shire is like the worst part of those movies. Anyways, where I was going with this ... dark side of humanity? You have to go no further than the Philly sports fans ... specifically those of the Flyers and the Phillies. God, what a bunch of assholes.

What else did I do today?

Not a whole lot. I made Alison come down to the city so we could celebrate her birthday by going to Pequods, the bike store, and finally over to Carrie's to visit her and the baby. Afterwards, my love affair with Dairy Queen continued, as we went to get ice cream.

I took care of some business, which was weird, because I was doing said business care at home while the cleaning lady was earning her keep. I felt pretty Bourgeois, so I hurried up as to get out of her hair, but the only place I really had to go was the downstairs lobby, where I sat and read.

Chipper Jones tore his ACL. That's kind of a bummer, right? Even though HOTlanta are league rivals, I have always liked the Braves, and it's always rough to see good players hurt when their teams are doing good (like Peavy and the White Sox).

Oh, and I saw Chris Carpenter was fined an undisclosed amount for his role in the Red/Cards brawl. He's a doucher. Seriously. One of the most over-rated pitchers in all of MLB.

No comments:

Post a Comment