Sunday, August 15, 2010

Take Me to the Club or Deteriorating Bar Scene

Last night, I found myself at River Shannon. Now, River Shannon used to be this awesome hole in the wall place, that no one really went to in Lincoln Park. It was memorable for a couple reasons:

1. Tony Clark and I sat there listening to Chloe Dancer on the jukebox while watching snow fall in early December.

2. Team Everett, ACP and I stumbled in there after Toad the Wet Sprocket only to find out that it was free hot dog night.

3. Two really good friends got to know each other a little better, if you know what I mean ... wokka wokka.

It's also my recollection that the bartenders have always been super cool, but we go there last night only to find that said bar now has:

1. A porch

2. Serves Food

3. Bitchy Bartenders

Obviously, they're trying to market the bar to the Lincoln Park yuppie crowd and ever annoying Drunk Girls! I thought this was pretty lame, considering the bar was fine the way it was. My faith was a little restored, however, when I went to the bathroom and saw a roach (it might have been a beetle, but it was a definite ugly floor crawling black bug). To me, this somewhat still makes it a dive bar and at least a little redeemable, considering the owners are trying really hard to sell out.

Then, just up the street, Stanley's is apparently a Texas Longhorns bar. Jesus. Where the hell did that come from? I wonder if they started serving bloomin' onions ala Lonestar Steakhouse, because that's what Stanley's now reminds me of.

No comments:

Post a Comment